White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are preferred for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that work with a wide range of home styles. In addition, white fits with anything, even as décor styles change over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s fine to be worried that the sun could discolor them. This is especially true if your home receives intense sunlight or faces south. It’s helpful to know that not all window treatments are created the same. And that certain plantation shutters are more susceptible to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you irritating sunburns. They’re also responsible for tarnishing your white plantation shutters, especially if you have cheap or overseas-made shutters. These detrimental rays can wear down the protective coating over time. Once the coating is removed, the sun can discolor the paint and cause it to turn yellow.
Regular cleaning will help keep your shutters looking their best. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t much you can do to fix it. The best way to stop your shutters from yellowing is to take advantage of high-quality models that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like a number of other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as good of a deal as they initially appear to be.
- They sometimes won’t fit your windows very well. For peak energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters should fit seamlessly against the window frame. Cheap plantation shutters are usually not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management can deteriorate as a result.
- They’re constructed from lower-quality materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are made from low-quality materials, like vinyl and composite, and are frequently hollow. In addition to yellowing, they may also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to warping, cracking or chipping.
- They’re coated with low-quality paint. Lower-quality paint sometimes contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These chemicals can be emitted by your shutters over time, producing headaches and eye and nasal irritation in some people. It’s also beneficial to know that poor-quality paint may not come with a protective UV coating, which might hasten the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know what type of quality you could get with plantation shutters that are built overseas. They tend to be lower quality than ones that are made in America.
- They may demand constant maintenance. Poorly made plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if pieces come loose or louvers begin to wilt. On some occasions, you may not be able to repair sagging louvers if your shutters don’t possess tension screws.
- They don’t come with a warranty.
Louver Shop of Charlotte Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Charlotte, we’ve been building our company on quality plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a good decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are the same, and your window treatments should reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can review all available options as long as you need. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll have an opportunity to fully customize your plantation shutters. And alongside our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a great fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from top-notch materials. Whether you choose our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most classic look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We work with an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look great but perform for years.
- Our plantation shutters are finished with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Charlotte plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for your family since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also resistant against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters and other window treatments in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they better quality, this means you’ll also get them much sooner, generally within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are straightforward to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are backed by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Charlotte plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also come with a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Charlotte Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your sense of style. Finding the right ones means you’ll enjoy gorgeous shutters for years with hassle-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re sure to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Charlotte by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.