White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are preferred for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that flatter a wide range of home styles. Not to mention, white fits with everything, even as décor styles come and go over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s fine to be concerned that the sun could discolor them. This is especially true if your home receives intense sunlight or faces south. It’s helpful to know that not all window treatments are created the same. And that certain plantation shutters are more vulnerable to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you irritating sunburns. They’re also responsible for tarnishing your white plantation shutters, especially if you have cheap or overseas-made shutters. These damaging rays can wear down the protective coating over time. Once the coating is removed, the sun can discolor the paint and cause it to turn yellow.
Regular cleaning will help keep your shutters looking bright. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t a lot you can do to fix it. The best way to keep your shutters from yellowing is to take advantage of high-quality models that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like a number of other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as good of a deal as they initially appear to be.
- They might not fit your windows very well. For peak energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters are required to fit right against the window frame. Cheaper plantation shutters are often not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management can deteriorate as a result.
- They’re constructed from low-grade materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are made from low-quality materials, such as vinyl and composite, and are frequently hollow. In addition to yellowing, they may also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to warping, cracking or chipping.
- They’re thinly protected with low-quality paint. Lower-quality paint sometimes contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These substances can be emitted by your shutters over time, producing headaches and eye and nasal irritation in a number of people. It’s also beneficial to know that poor-quality paint may not include a protective UV coating, which might speed up the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know the sort of quality you could get with plantation shutters that are built overseas. They are often lower quality than ones that are made in America.
- They may demand frequent maintenance. Cheaply made plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if pieces come loose or louvers begin to wilt. On some occasions, you may not be able to repair sagging louvers if your shutters don’t possess tension screws.
- They don’t include a warranty.
Louver Shop of Charlotte Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Charlotte, we’ve been building our company on exceptional plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a good decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are the same, and your window treatments can reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can review all available options as long as you need. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll have the chance to fully personalize your plantation shutters. And alongside our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a perfect fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from top-notch materials. Whether you choose our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most classic look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We work with an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look great but perform for years.
- Our plantation shutters are finished with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Charlotte plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for you and your family since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also guaranteed against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters and other window treatments in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they high quality, this means you’ll also get them much sooner, generally within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are straightforward to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are backed by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Charlotte plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also include a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Charlotte Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your sense of style. Finding the right ones means you’ll enjoy gorgeous shutters for years with stress-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re sure to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Charlotte by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.